How to Select The Right Type of Waste | Need A Skip Now
Why Is Waste Classified?
With the new EPA laws, coming into effect from 1st July 2021, it has never been more important to understand our roles and responsibilities, as waste producers, waste transporters and waste recyclers.
The classificaiton Process, especially for larger volume waste producers is there to help you understand your legal responsibilities. Classifying Waste helps you to:
- determine which Waste Duty apply
- pass relevant information along the waste supply chain, so that people, who are receiving your waste, can understand how to manage risks
- determine a lawful place to take waste for: resource recovery, reuse or disposal.
According to the EPA new rules and regulations, coming into effect from 1st July 2021, there are three broad Waste Categories, which then have their own sub-categories:
- Industrial Waste (examples include: inert construction and demolition waste, like bricks)
- Priority Waste (examples include: E-Waste, Treated Timber)
- Reportable Priority Waste (examples include: solvents, strong acids, pesticides)
As a Skip Bin Hire company, we are only allowed to provide bins for some subcategories of the Industrial Waste, which we will discuss here in detail. If you or your business are producing Priority or Reportable Priority Waste, we stongly suggest to visit EPA website and familiarise yourself with your waste duties, which will be applicable from 1/7/21.
How to Manage Construction & Demolition Waste
Whether you are a builder, working a multiple number of projects or an owner builder or a DIY renovator of your own house, most likely your waste will be classified by the EPA as a construction and demolition Waste.
Construction and Demolition (C&D) activities, generate a range of waste materials, including but not limited to:
- Excavated materials, such as rock and soil
- Waste Asphalt, concrete, bricks, timber, green waste, plasterboard
- Asbestos and Contaminated Soil (which we don't accept in skip bins)
To meet your waste duties as a business, you must:
- classify your waste correctly
- provide as much information and as accurate as possible to the waste transporter (your skip bin supplier) about your waste, to ensure it is dealt with appropriately and processed and disposed of in a legal way - i.e. the receiving facility must have appropriate license to receive your waste and process it.
- ask as many questions as required from your waste management supplier, to ensure that disposal is indeed lawful, otherwise the penalties will be applied to you by the EPA as the original waste producer.
Green Waste Bins
If you are working on your garden, backyard or any landscaping project and only have green waste, such as: tree branches, shrubs, plants (without soil), small tree trunks, which are under 150mm in diameter and other similar waste types then Green Waste is the type of waste to select when ordering your skip bin.
Selecting the right waste type - saves you money as Green Waste Bins are a definite saving, compared to Mixed Heavy Waste bins.
Depending on the size of your project, any bin size from our large range of bins would be suitable for green waste. Our extensive bin sizes range is from 2 cubic meters mini skip, all the way up to 31 cubic meters bulk bins.
If you only have a small area, that you are cleaning up then you might get away with a mini skip. However if you live on a large property, with multitude of greenery, such as trees and shrubs, you will need to consider a larger bin. If unsure about the correct size bin, after checking out our bin size guide, please don't hesitate to contact our friendly team for an obligation free advice.
Mixed Heavy Waste Bins
Without a doubt - our most frequently used waste type, due to the large number of materials, which can be placed in that bin. Most of our building and landscaping customers prefer Mixed Heavy Waste, as they can mix the following materials in it:
- Domestic Waste
- Demolition Waste
- Construction Waste
- Bricks, Tiles & Concrete
- Landscaping Waste
- Untreated Timber
Our mixed heavy bins are available in the sizes from 2 cubic meters all the way to 12 cubic meters. We pride ourselves on offering an ALL INCLUSIVE price to our customers, meaning that no matter how heavy your bin is, we will not be charging you for extra weight, like the majority of skip bin hire companies in Australia. Our prices are all upfront, all inclusive price, whether your bin is heavy or not, meaning there will not be any surprises on the pickup of your bin, where you have to pay hundreds of dollars extra, if you exceed the base weight of the bin.
General Waste Bins
Majority of Household moves fall into the category of general waste, which covers all your domestic items, such as furniture, toys, white appliances, such as fridge & dishawasher. Office cleanouts can also fall into the category of general waste.
As a rule - if there are no renovation materials, such as bricks, concrete, timber or any other left overs from your projects then the waste can be classified as a General Waste.
General Waste bins can be ordered in the full range of our bin sizes, from 2 cubic meters mini skips all the way up to 31 cubic meters bulk bins. All bins from 3 cubic meters and up come with a walk in door, hence making it easy to load the bins with the wheelbarrow.
Bins for Recyclables Materials
Should you have a project, where you might have recyclable materials and you are able to separate them into separate bin, then you can save money on ordering various bins for various types of recyclable, for example:
- 100% Concrete Bin - suitable for concrete, ideal for driveway replacement projects, suitable bin sizes are from 2m3 to 10m3
- Concrete / Brick / Soil & Metal Bins - suitable fo ronly 4 materials and bin sizes available are from 2m3 to 10m3
- 100% Cardboard Bins - only available for pure cardboard, no plastic or other materials allowed, bin sizes suitable are from 2m3 to 31m3
- Metal Only Bin - as the name suggests, no other items are allowed, all bin sizes are suitable from 2m3 to 31m3
- 100% Bricks Bin - suitable for bricks only, bin sizes from 2m3 to 10m3
The prices for recyclable bins are lower compared to other waste types, as we are separating these products from the non-recyclables, cleaning them and then taking them to specialised recycling facilities, which then further process these materials, thus diverting them away from landfill.
If you are not sure which waste type to choose for your next bin, check out our Waste Type Guide on our website or give our friendly team a call and we'll help you in no time, we are available Monday to Saturday on 1300 605 624.