How to Select The Right Type of Waste | Need A Skip Now
Why Is Waste Classified?
With the new EPA laws, coming into effect from 1st July 2021, it has never been more important to understand our roles and responsibilities, as waste producers, waste transporters and waste recyclers.
The classificaiton Process, especially for larger volume waste producers is there to help you understand your legal responsibilities. Classifying Waste helps you to:
- determine which Waste Duty apply
- pass relevant information along the waste supply chain, so that people, who are receiving your waste, can understand how to manage risks
- determine a lawful place to take waste for: resource recovery, reuse or disposal.
According to the EPA new rules and regulations, coming into effect from 1st July 2021, there are three broad Waste Categories, which then have their own sub-categories:
- Industrial Waste (examples include: inert construction and demolition waste, like bricks)
- Priority Waste (examples include: E-Waste, Treated Timber)
- Reportable Priority Waste (examples include: solvents, strong acids, pesticides)
As a Skip Bin Hire company, we are only allowed to provide bins for some subcategories of the Industrial Waste, which we will discuss here in detail. If you or your business are producing Priority or Reportable Priority Waste, we stongly suggest to visit EPA website and familiarise yourself with your waste duties, which will be applicable from 1/7/21.
How to Manage Construction & Demolition Waste
Whether you are a builder, working a multiple number of projects or an owner builder or a DIY renovator of your own house, most likely your waste will be classified by the EPA as a construction and demolition Waste.
Construciton and Demolition (C&D) activities, generate a range of waste materials, including but not limited to:
- Excavated materials, such as rock and soil
- Waste Asphalt, concrete, bricks, timber, green waste, plasterboard
- Asbestos and Contaminated Soil